6.05.2011

2008 Côtes du Jura Domaine Alain Labet en Chalasse

This is a similar label, but instead of the 'Fleur de Savavnin' the label should say 'en Chalasse' (but I forgot to take a picture).  The Jura region is on the eastern border of France:
This wine is 100% Chardonnay and the pour is golden yellow.  The nose is intense at first but after a little swirl, more flavors are revealed and the intensity is more in-check. The aromas are well balanced including smooth floral notes, light acidic citrus and a nutty almond scent too.

The palate is sharp and doesn't hold back. It leads with acid and minerality along with a little peach sweetness. The midpalate is dominated by sweet pear and apple notes with a milder acidity. While the wine is in my mouth I get another hint of the floral aroma from the nose; it really ties the wine together.

I really like where this wine is going but I'm not sure it made it to its destination (especially for the price); I think the palate was a bit simple but it was tied together very well. I love French reds and I've been branching out to try more French whites, but I'm still searching for a different terroir.

Rating: 89
Retail: $45

No comments:

Post a Comment