6.19.2011

2006 Sequoia Grove Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon

This is a great example of classic California cab! The pour is a deep red, almost black, and is just enough darker than the usual cab to intrigue the drinker.
The nose is layered and fantastic, beginning with blackberries and cherries. These aromas are followed by notes of vanilla and dry tobacco. There is something spicy about the nose as well (classic California cab)...something bolder than simple black pepper, like the whole peppercorn before crushing it in the pepper mill. I like the aromatic blend of this wine, it is very linear but not too intense.

The palate opens with flavors of black currants, black raspberries, blackberries and mild tannins. The midpalate is flecked with herbal anise and soft cocoa notes. The finish is long....so very long, but brilliantly done. The tannins are perfectly interlaced with the spicy black pepper from the nose and the sweet blackberry from the forepalate. The finish is smoky and, as I mentioned, very long and enjoyable.

Retail: $40
Rating: 92
I love this cab, I'll be looking for it on special at wine shops around Denver and I'm looking forward to the next glass I get to enjoy. My friend Martin and I enjoyed this bottle with a meal including espresso rubbed duck at Wine Experience Cafe. The wine is brilliantly balanced and would also be great with steak, mushroom dishes, and lamb...I would also enjoy a glass of this on a summer evening on a back porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment