2.14.2011

2007 Stags' Leap Viognier


Full name: 2007 Stags' Leap Napa Valley Viognier
While pouring this into a glass for the first time I was mesmerized by the golden color of the wine. Upon a swirl, long skinny legs get your attention for a second or two.

The nose is large and inviting, with notes of pear, and the acidity of pineapple balanced by sweet notes of honeysuckle and ripe apricot.

The palate is layered nicely. First I get a touch of grapefruit and tropical fruit-sugar. Then I get a subtle flavor of oak, which is brilliantly placed and it is one of the reasons I love this wine! The pear then returns from the nose to the palate along with a light peach note. The finish is long and enjoyable with the palate still sensing bits of orange or tangerine with a creamy peach flavor as well.

I had another glass about half an hour after removing the bottle from the chiller, and the wine opened up a bit. This resulted in the nose being a bit stronger aromatically and the flavors on the palate being smoother but unchanged in quantity or duration (fewer sharp edges is what I'm trying to say).

Rating: 92
With a price of $25 this is a wine worth experimenting with, especially if you've had your fill of the same old chardonnay for a while and want to try something similar, but at the same time brilliantly different.


2 comments:

  1. Ah the Stags' Leap... You are correct, sir. Much tastier after some O2, no? Oak, apricot, peach and tangerine? What a delightful combination of flavors. May I suggest some food pairings with your future blogs? Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! Indeed a nice change after some air. Brilliant combination of flavors to be sure.
    I take your suggestion seriously and I'll mention a few foods perhaps with my next postings; but I am of the conviction that pairing has become far too closed-minded, and that wine is meant to be had with any number of foods and all experimentation is worthwhile. The general rule of whites with lighter foods is a good one, but it is not law.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete