4.14.2011

2008 The Crusher Cabernet Sauvignon


I was lucky enough to find this gem on special by the half-case at a wine shop about a year ago. I was at dinner the other night and this wine came up in conversation (thanks Martin), and it reminded me of the bottles I have left and prompted this sharing of my tasting notes.
This Cab is from the Wilson Vineyard in Clarksburg, California. The Crusher is meticulously concocted by Greg Kitchens at 13.5% abv.

On the pour, this beauty is a very dark crimson/scarlet. Nice legs and a relatively rapidly evolving set of aromas upon a good swirl or three. On the nose I get plums initially. After some oxygen and a few minutes I continue to get the plum but it is muted and followed by raspberries and a hint of spicebox (great California cab spices, intriguing and a big plus on the nose).

The palate is full and exciting. It starts with lots of dark fruits: blackberries, dark plums and subtle dark cherries too. There is something behind the fruit as well: I always get a hint of coffee bean and black pepper making a background appearance on the midpalate. Tannins are present but well balanced and very enjoyable throughout. The finish is dusty and long, with the core tannins lingering appropriately. The last taste to leave the palate/throat is a rich jammy flavor which is not overpoweringly fruity but more a lingering reminder of the brilliant wine you just tasted.

As with any bold, California cab, a fine pairing list will always include steak of any cut. I had this with ribs in a mild bbq sauce and that was fantastic as well. I am looking forward to pairing this bold cab with an aged gouda or grayson cheese.


Retail: $18 (but often on sale...keep a look out...)
Rating: 91
I consider this a diamond hidden on the wine shelves. Great value for an up-and-coming region (Clarksburg).

No comments:

Post a Comment