3.01.2011

2006 Director's Cut Chardonnay

2006 Francis Ford Coppola Director's Cut Russian River Valley Chardonnay

This is a GREAT bottle of Chardonnay, upon the first smell I was intrigued and then on the palate I fell in love with this wine! The pour is a beautiful pale golden color; a good swirl leaves a fun set of legs from this 13.5% abv Chardonnay.

The nose is ridiculously aromatic, a TON of scents hit the nose at once and in sequence, all at the same time, love it! Ripe pear, orange blossoms, honeysuckle, a titch of vanilla, and a dose of citrus. These flavors come in layers and then blend wonderfully into a great fragrance!

Then on the palate: the honeysuckle sweetness and the citrus return from the nose, and I get a great taste of green apple as well. There is a split second where the vanilla returns as well, but it is directly followed by a great rush of French Oak, the cask in which this wine is kept for 10 months before bottling. I love a great oaky Chardonnay and this delivers! I chilled this bottle down to 12˚C, and as it warmed a bit in the glass I liked it more and more up to about 16˚C (perfect Chard temperatures).


Rating: 92
Retail: $24

I love this bottle of Chardonnay! I was looking forward to opening it and I was not disappointed at all. This has jumped up into my top three Chardonnay bottles (along with Rombauer Carneros Chardonnay and Moshin Russian River Valley Chardonnay) - and this is cheaper than each of them! Don't pass this up if you have a chance and are in the mood for a big step up from flat apple chardonnays.

No comments:

Post a Comment